Shared insight, great employee and customer experiences, better business results.
“Values are the timeless guiding principles that require no external justification – they have intrinsic value and importance to those inside the organisation.”
Jim Collins, 2001.
Corporate values are intended to explicitly describe how employees conduct themselves, everyday, in dealings with all stakeholders. Co-created, they guide actions and behaviour and inspire everyone to better serve customers and ensure a wholehearted focus on doing the right things well.
Benefits of explicit and aligned corporate values
When well designed and implemented, corporate values:
- Inform every day decision-making aligned to the organisation’s strategic intent.
- Provide a language for constructive dialogue on how work is best achieved, valued and rewarded.
- Enable consistency in behaviour and action that delivers exceptional customer service and desired business outcomes.
- Build the business brand reputation through a consistent and differentiated customer experience.
- Enhance attraction, retention and ongoing loyalty of employees and customers.
Our approach to developing corporate values
We help you distil your organisations unique “cultural DNA” – those hard to mimic, qualities and behaviours that enable market differentiation and support strategy execution. We design and conduct high impact employee research process that simultaneously engages and gathers insight for action. We begin where you are. It could be that you wish to create a set of meaningful and engaging corporate values or revitalise an existing set to match renewed strategic priorities.
This could mean first, helping you clarify the purpose and intent of your corporate values, then we work with you to design the the overall employee and customer engagement process, through to crafting and validating suggested values, and finally ensuring effective implementation to embed and enliven ownership from all employees back in the business.
We look forward to hearing your organisation’s story so far, and exploring how we can help make possible your organisation’s strategic intent through renewing your values to be both aspirational and inspirational.
Developing corporate culture
Corporate culture is all about the shared assumptions that drive action, behaviour, and entrenched habits, and ultimately “how things get done around here.” In business, culture is an enabler or disabler of strategy execution, and frequently cited as the key risk to successful post-merger integration and benefit realisation. All organisations have a culture – their unique set of social characteristics through which work gets done. The default culture may not remain the right culture to meet the demands of a dynamic external environment.
The goal of culture change or realignment is to intentionally influence and shape those innate characteristics to achieve the organisation’s strategic intent. This is no simple affair and requires clarity of purpose, well sequenced, and focused effort, including:
- Creating an explicit map of the “to-from states” and success measures that will support the strategic intent.
- An understanding of the unique drivers of your organisation’s culture.
- A business-wide “roadmap” and engagement process that has both top-down and bottom up mechanisms for co-creating new meanings and possibilities for enabling the desired future state culture.
Benefits of developing corporate culture
Clients engage us to help them achieve a number of business outcomes and bottom-line impacts of culture alignment such as:
- Improve the employee experience of the operating environment to drive productivity and customer outcomes.
- Embed the corporate values for greater personal accountability, engagement, passion, commitment, collaboration, innovation, talent attraction and retention, to name but a few.
- Improve the customer and stakeholder experience to boost customer retention, loyalty, advocacy, and growth.
Our approach to developing corporate culture
Our work typically involves employee research to establish a “cultural narrative” and synthesis of behaviour, symbols and systems. We also conduct a series of leadership team consultations to develop explicit objectives and to design an integrated program of sponsored initiatives and leadership actions. We believe that leaders are inherently accountable for shaping culture. We also know that structure, leadership practices, people policies and practices, and the work itself play a part in building a robust and intentional culture.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss your organisation’s cultural journey, what makes it unique, and how we might work with you on realising sustained behaviour change, and optimising efforts to meet the dynamics of your industry.